Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Do I have to be a member of National Speakers Association (“NSA”) before I join NSA-Virginia?
A: No. When you join NSA-Virginia you will begin working towards fulfilling the requirements to become a member of NSA.
Q: What's the difference between a Member and an Affiliate?
Members are individuals who have achieved qualification to become and who have officially achieved and maintain member status in the National Speakers Association. Affiliates are individuals who desire to be a professional speaker and will be working toward the goal of meeting the qualifications to become a member of National Speakers Association.
Q: Why do you charge dues and meeting fees?
A: Meeting fees are used to pay the facility expenses and the speaker’s expenses. Dues pay the overhead expenses such as the Administrator, Web Master, postage, newsletter, other administrative costs, and to cover the meeting expenses when the meeting fee incomes are not sufficient.
Q: How can I participate in NSA-Virginia?
A: There are five categories of participation in NSA-Virginia: Member, Affiliate, Emeritus Member, Bureau Participant and Service/Supply Participant.
- A Member shall be a person actively engaged in speaking, whether it is keynotes, training, or presentations as part of a larger job description. A Member in NSA-Virginia must also be a member of NSA.
- An Affiliate shall be a person actively pursuing knowledge and expertise in the field of speaking. This person has not yet qualified for NSA membership or has not elected to join the national organization. An affiliate shall have the same rights as NSA members.
- An Emeritus Member shall be an honorary member of NSA-Virginia due to exemplary contribution to the profession. An Emeritus Member receives such designation by vote of the Board and will not be required to pay annual dues.
- A Bureau Participant shall be an owner or employee of a Speaker's Bureau. Such a person will pay the same dues and abide by the same rules as Affiliate members.
- A Service/Supply Participant shall be an owner or employee of a service/supply organization for speakers. Such a person will pay the same dues and abide by the same rules as Affiliate members.